Sunday, May 17, 2009

Raising a glass to Karin *clink* (blueberry 'tini, darlin')







Going back about three weeks in the baking history ~ tarts baked for a couple of sweet Taurus women ~

My first fruit tart of the year, using my petal
ring. I used frozen berries, as it really isn't peak fruit season here in Oregon. I'd much prefer consistent quality frozen fruit over imported and mediocre. Come summer, yes - fresh preferred. I added raspberries with the blueberries, just about a quarter as much. I like my fruit tarts to be...well...to have a hint of tart. I prefer a non-too-sweet result. Lemon zest ~ always.



It went something like this.

4 c. blueberries
1 c. raspberries
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. sugar
Zest of half a lemon
Barely a smidge of salt

Glaze for accents
An egg, beaten with a bit of water. A bit? Maybe a 3 tablespoons? That sounds about right.
Sugar, raw or granulated

My favorite tart shells as of the past few years are the versions without water, though include egg. Not wanting to sift through my cookbooks (yes, yes...I know I need to gather my master recipes into one spot), I did what so many before me have done. Google, please. This is where you will find the recipe I used for this tart. I did not par-bake. I start watching my thinner baked open tarts around 35 minutes, looking for that bubble, that color along the edges, the color on the top of the pastry accents. They can take as long as some pies, depending on depth. 35-55 minutes @ 400 degrees.

This concludes my first post with picture to test font, alignment, photo size, etc.

Toodles ~ see you next time!
It might have something to do with the hazelnut sables I baked this morning....


0 comments:

Post a Comment