Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pear quick bread ~


Pear quick bread ~ I was really happy with this version of a pear quick bread. I loved the subtly of the pears along with the contrast of an occasional blueberry. I could really taste the pears, something I didn’t want to overpower with too much spice. Soft, moist cubes tucked in a moist batter.

I made this two ways. One batch I made with oil, the other with butter. I don’t stand on the butter soapbox as an all encompassing superior choice. I prefer the one with the butter for taste, it has a soft rich texture. I can appreciate a different neutral flavor that oil provides other ingredients, along with it‘s slightly spongy-dense moist consistency. I list both options.

If you feel it can take more spice, so be it. I’m not big on cinnamon for pear bread, I will pick a combo of nutmeg and cardamom, heavier on the nutmeg. Both freshly ground. White cardamom pods if you can find them.

Pear quick bread ~

3 ½ c. flour

½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ salt
¾ tsp. cardamom
¾ tsp. nutmeg

1 ½ c. brown sugar

1 c. white sugar

1 c. oil (or 2 sticks butter melted and cooled slightly)

3 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1 ½ c. buttermilk


2-3 bosc pears, approx. 2 ½ c. diced

Sprinkling of blueberries on top of batter, frozen work fine.

Sprinkling of pecans
Streusel
  • Mix the dry ingredients, set aside.
  • Mix the sugar with the oil or butter, mix well.
  • Add vanilla.
  • Add eggs and whip well after each addition.
  • Alternate buttermilk and flour in thirds.
  • Pour into prepared 9”x5” loaf pans.
  • Sprinkle on few blueberries on top of the batter, add struesel and a few extra pecans.
  • Bake at 325 for a softer loaf - started checking at 55 minutes - it could go as long as 75 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for a firmer loaf, start checking at 50 minutes, could go as long as 65.
  • Removed from pans after 5-10 minutes.
  • Give one away to an appreciative sweet tooth.
This is pretty with a soft sprinkling of powdered sugar after it’s cooled.














Toodles ~
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment