Today is my mother's birthday. This is her recipe, I have the sheet of paper where it's written in her hand. I used to love looking at her writing.
Raisin Pumpernickel Bread ~
2 pkgs. dry yeast
1 1/4 c. warm water - 110 degrees
1 c.each of rye flour and whole wheat flour
1/4 c. molasses
2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 T. instant coffee powder
1/2 tsp. salt
About 1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. raisins (she used more)
Egg wash or flour for dusting
- Mix yeast with water, mix and let stand five minutes
- Add rye flour, 1 c. flour, cocoa powder, coffee powder, salt
- Add dry mixtures to yeast, mix. Let sit for ten minutes.
- Add additional cup of flour, kneading or using dough hook and mixer. If kneading, avoid adding too much more flour. Knead for a while. Let sit for ten minutes.
- Add additional 1/4-1/2 c. flour if needed. Leave the dough slightly tacky.
- Let rise in a greased bowl until double in size, approximately an hour.
- Punch down dough. Shape into a ball, set on a baking sheet using either cornmeal or parchment. Let rise until double.
- Use the eggwash or dust with flour instead. Slash.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30-40 minutes. Test by thumping the bottom for the hollow sound.
My mother. She was an excellent cook and a very good baker. Virginia Helen. Gini.
She is the Eskimo in me.