Monday, December 28, 2009

Virginia's Raisin Pumpernickel Bread ~



Today is my mother's birthday.  This is her recipe, I have the sheet of paper where it's written in her hand.  I used to love looking at her writing.


Raisin Pumpernickel Bread ~

2 pkgs. dry yeast 
1 1/4 c. warm water - 110 degrees
1 c.each of rye flour and whole wheat flour
1/4 c. molasses
2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 T. instant coffee powder
1/2 tsp. salt
About 1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. raisins (she used more)

Egg wash or flour for dusting

  • Mix yeast with water, mix and let stand five minutes
  • Add rye flour,  1 c. flour, cocoa powder, coffee powder, salt
  • Add dry mixtures to yeast, mix.  Let sit for ten minutes.
  • Add additional cup of flour, kneading or using dough hook and mixer.  If kneading, avoid adding too much more flour.  Knead for a while.  Let sit for ten minutes.
  • Add additional 1/4-1/2 c. flour if needed.  Leave the dough slightly tacky.
  • Let rise in a greased bowl until double in size, approximately an hour. 
  • Punch down dough.  Shape into a ball, set on a baking sheet using either cornmeal or parchment.  Let rise until double.
  • Use the eggwash or dust with flour instead. Slash.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30-40 minutes.  Test by thumping the bottom for the hollow sound.
Review & additional notes ~  I used unbleached flour and rye flour because it's what I had on hand.  It needs the whole wheat, for the extra flour, use bread flour if you have it.   I added 3/4 c. raisins.  I added 2/3 c. chopped walnuts.  I think it needs some changes. Take the yeast down to one package or 2 1/2 tsp., which changes rise time.  Bump up the salt to 1 tsp.  Add a couple tablespoons of sugar. Bake at a higher temperature, 375 degrees, 40-45 minutes, check at 40.


My mother.  She was an excellent cook and a very good baker.  Virginia Helen.  Gini.  

She is the Eskimo in me.
xoxo









0 comments:

Post a Comment