Tuesday, December 28, 2010

On the third day of Christmas.....

My mother was born.   December 28th.  It's her birthday.  I have immense appreciation and love for all of who she was, our feminine lineage...which continues as I have two daughters.  I don't have one of her recipes handy to post.  I do have the first one her granddaughter made.

~ My loves ~

Miss Sofia Mae wanted to make this recipe from her sister's book, we've had it for years.  (Thank you, Karin)  I told her we could make it for our Christmas dessert is she wanted.  Oh, she wanted.  She was so excited and proud to do this for our Christmas before it was ever made.  After she mixed it, she was even happier, saying, "I made practically all of it."  She did.  

The book.

The recipe - and it is truly one of the best quick simple cakes I've ever had.  Why I hardly tweaked it at all...just a smidgen of change, three total, from the one posted in the book.  Yes, it's December, so the berries used were frozen.  It was still perfect, as recipes made from someone that you love always are.  :)   This was so good slightly warm a half hour out of the oven ~ we will be making this particular recipe repeatedly from here on out, we liked it that much.

Please note - I have a new(ish) oven, it isn't running where I am all that confident it was up to temperature when we made this.  The book states 15-18 minutes.  I baked mine for almost 35 minutes at 425.  Please choose a temp and start watching according to what is necessary to result in a springback when touched in the middle.

1 3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter, diced
1 egg, beaten
2/3 c. milk - I used 2%

  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  
  • Sift flour, then sift together dry ingredients.
  • Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  • Add egg and milk, mixing just enough to moisten.
  • Spread dough in an 8" round.
  • Sprinkle the top of the batter with granulated sugar, approximately a tablespoon
~ Baked ~

~ Christmas dessert 2010 ~

~ Unconditionally loved ~

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful cake...beautiful children...beautiful mother. It's heart-warming to see them so happy to be following in their mother's footsteps!

    ReplyDelete