Sunday, December 19, 2010

Rosemary rolls ~

The before and after shots of olive oil
Out on the counter ~~ flour, both white and wheat, (I only had AP white and whole wheat pastry flour), yeast, olive oil, kosher salt, fresh chopped rosemary.  As I went along....


1 tsp. yeast
1/4 c. warm water - 110 degrees or so
Pinch sugar

Let sit for a bit, a few minutes.


Add ~

1/2 tsp.more yeast
3/4 c. warm water
2 c. flour
1/4 c. chopped rosemary

Mix, let sit for 30 minutes.

Add 4 T. olive oil
A couple tablespoons warm water
1 1/2  tablespoons kosher salt (yes, tablespoons)
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. flour

Adjust flour here if needed, but keep it slightly tacky and soft.  Mix, knead, let rise until double.

  • Portion into 16 tight small rolls, let rise until not quite double.  About three-quarters of the way to double.  
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Slit rolls on top.
  • Drizzle with olive oil.
  • Salt tops if desired.
  • Bake for approximately 20 minutes.  Three-quarters through baking, drizzle more olive oil on the rolls and return to the oven to finish baking.
I was very happy with these.  I was craving rosemary bread for our supper accompaniment.  Given my mood today, along with the few hours of steady snowfall we had today, I didn't feel like venturing out or spending the money.  I figured I would make rosemary bread and would know that it would not be close to the flavor pack of some of the artisan rosemary bread that is made here in town...with a home gas oven, only a few hours, no levine...I decided soft rosemary bread would be fine. Sort of fine....


I went looking at three of my favorite bread baking books, knowing that I wasn't going to find a quick yeast bread in their contents.  I was grasping.  Grasping the "not good enough" though never yields peace.  (Ohm.)  I practiced letting go of expectations, put the baking books away and decided to just wing an approximate general soft yeast dough made with olive oil, getting out the few ingredients I needed.   Oh...these turned out so very very nice, so much more than I had expected.   I'm grateful for how things turn out just how they are supposed to at every given moment.  *inhaling breath*  Mmmmm.  Exhale.


These were dense, full of rosemary flavor.  A fun result of the olive oil drizzle is that it makes the bottom of the rolls have a very crisp crackling finish.  


Slit one way
Slit another way
A peek at the underside

0 comments:

Post a Comment