Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pie, pie, pie and more pie ~





The cherries were so gorgeous, plump and dark, the pies came out looking like blackberry. Oh…but the sweet cherry taste. *swoon*

Rhubarb pie…which camp are you in? Love it? Don’t care for it? More, more, more, pretty please. Miss Mary Not So Contrary has it growing at her place in Redmond. Growing. Unused. Not clipped. More importantly, not in my home where it should be macerating in sugar on my kitchen counter! *ha* I hope to make a trip out that-a-way to pick up some pinkish stalks.




What is this post about? It’s about tapioca. Specifically, this tapioca in pies as the thickener. I remember tapioca in the cupboards of my childhood home, used for pudding and as a thickener. Sitting here a little puzzled, wondering what my Grandmother used in her pies. Being a farm wife of long ago, it could have been flour or cornstarch instead of tapioca…..hmmm…..it would be nice to know. But I don’t.


This recipe is for Bing cherries. If you use Royal Anne or Rainer, less sugar will be necessary. This amount is for smaller pies,or a medium pie, but not quite enough for a standard double crust pie. Double for a standard size, double crust pie.

Sweet cherry filling ~

4 c. pitted and halved Bing cherries
1/4 c. sugar
2 T. minute tapioca
Barely a pinch of salt
2 tsp. lemon juice
Lemon zest - if desired
Dot with bits of butter



Rhubarb filling ~


3 c. chopped rhubarb

1/2 -3/4 c. sugar - I like it tart

2 tsp. lemon juice
3 T. minute tapioca
Barely a pinch of salt
Dot with bits of butter


Gather your favorite pie crust recipe. What is your mood? Mini pies? Mini galette? Only have enough peaches like I did for a medium galette?

Notes ~


  • I don't care for really sweet pies, so if you like more sugar, add it. Take a taste of the raw fruit before you add the tapioca to gage what you prefer.
  • If you use tapioca with a pie that has exposed fruit, such as a galette, the exposed part will have some little hard bits of cooked tapioca. If you are making an open face pie, find a recipe using cornstarch instead.
  • I like to start the pies in a 400-425 degree oven for five minutes, then reduce to 350-375 degrees for the remaining bake time.
  • I don't care for sour cherry pies, so I have no input on the needed increased sugar amounts.
  • I brush the crust before baking with an egg wash. One egg, 2T. water. I like the look of raw sugar sprinkled on top.














Sweet seepage. MMMmmmm.

Toodles ~
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment