|~ in hands so tender ~|
3/4 tsp. yeast
1/4c. warm water
8.5 oz. sponge starter
2/3 c. water - room temperature
2 T. honey
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 c. flour - more if needed
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. dried figs, chopped (or more)
1 c. toasted walnuts, chopped
- Bloom the yeast in the 1/4 c. warm water, let it sit a few minutes. Appreciate it's scent.
- Add the 2/3 c. water, the sponge, the honey. Break up the sponge in the water, like a child would - with fingers damp, joy and awe.
- Add the salt to the flour, mix. Add the flour to the wet ingredients. Mix or knead five minutes. Let the dough rest 20 minutes.
- Knead or mix in the figs and walnuts. Add a bit more flour if needed - up to 1/4 c. but let the dough be a sticky dough.
- Shape the dough into a roll for a 9x5 pan. Oil the pan well. Set to rise until double.
- Before it's almost double, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- When double, bake for 15 minutes, then reduce to 375 and bake another 20 minutes or until done. Tap the bottom of the loaf for the hollow sound to check.
- Remove from pan to cool.
|~ Latte snack, with blackberry honey ~|
|~ I know what real love is ~|