Monday, January 17, 2011

Fig-walnut bread ~

~ in hands so tender ~
Fig-walnut bread ~

3/4 tsp. yeast
1/4c. warm water
8.5 oz. sponge starter
2/3 c. water - room temperature
2 T. honey
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 c. flour - more if needed
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. dried figs, chopped (or more)
1 c. toasted walnuts, chopped
  • Bloom the yeast in the 1/4 c. warm water, let it sit a few minutes.  Appreciate it's scent.
  • Add the 2/3 c. water, the sponge, the honey.  Break up the sponge in the water, like a child would - with fingers damp, joy and awe.
  • Add the salt to the flour, mix.  Add the flour to the wet ingredients.  Mix or knead five minutes.  Let the dough rest 20 minutes.
  • Knead or mix in the figs and walnuts.  Add a bit more flour if needed - up to 1/4 c. but let the dough be a sticky dough.
  • Shape the dough into a roll for a 9x5 pan.  Oil the pan well.  Set to rise until double.
  • Before it's almost double, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
  • When double, bake for 15 minutes, then reduce to 375 and bake another 20 minutes or until done.  Tap the bottom of the loaf for the hollow sound to check.  
  • Remove from pan to cool.
I do like an egg  yolk wash on this particular bread.

~ Latte snack, with blackberry honey ~
  I had a little leftover sponge.  Figs were on my mind for some reason, no need to question, only to head to Nature's to purchase them.  I had a beautiful flour that I also felt moved to buy this week, whole grain additions.   I was craving bread that is earthier, a feeling cradling appeasement to what is not yet forgiven in self.  Whole grain, breads that take extra time and care, something that gives fuller when one slows down to build a foundation that will yield something with more depth, lasting good memories  I've been baking a lot of sponge starter bread as of late.  This bread is one that I will make many more times in my life, I was quite fond of it. 


 ~ I know what real love is ~
Bread love ~

0 comments:

Post a Comment