What is a cookie that isn't sweet? A biscuit? I am not sure, but this cookie is far from sweet. This is one another recipe I played around with. These are the times I feel I have an different than average like for what is not traditional. This cookie, most likely due to the strong mocha flavor derived from the espresso powder doesn't not register a sweetness on the level of a sable or even a chocolate shortbread. Given my
For less mocha flavor and more of a straight almond shortbread style taste, leave out the espresso. Next time I think I will.
Crunchy Mocha Love ~
8 oz. powdered sugar
1/2 lb. unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg yolk
1 T. instant espresso powder
9.5 oz. unbleached flour
3.5 oz. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4.5 oz. sliced almonds, chopped
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Add vanilla and the espresso powder, mix until dissolved.
- Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder and salt. Add this to butter/egg mixture.
- Add the chopped almonds.
- Wrap the dough and chill for at least two hours.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8"-1/4" depending on how thin you like your cookies.
- Bake at 375 for 12-16 minutes. They will be a little soft when warm, but will firm up when cool.
|Three from the same batch ~ all a little different ~ like my babies|