Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Crunchy Mocha Love ~


What is a cookie that isn't sweet?  A biscuit?  I am not sure, but this cookie is far from sweet.  This is one another recipe I played around with.  These are the times I feel I have an different than average like for what is not traditional.  This cookie, most likely due to the strong mocha flavor derived from the espresso powder doesn't not register a sweetness on the level of a sable or even a chocolate shortbread.  Given my addiction fondness for all things made with flour, I am fine with the none-too-sweet result of this cookie.  The chocolate ups the sweet factor, especially if using milk chocolate.

For less mocha flavor and more of a straight almond shortbread style taste, leave out the espresso.  Next time I think I will.  


Crunchy Mocha Love ~

8 oz. powdered sugar
1/2 lb. unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla 
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 T. instant espresso powder
9.5 oz. unbleached flour
3.5 oz. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4.5 oz. sliced almonds, chopped
  • Cream the butter and sugar. 
  • In a small bowl, whisk eggs.  Add vanilla and the espresso powder, mix until dissolved.
  • Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture. Mix thoroughly.
  • In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder and salt.  Add this to butter/egg mixture.  
  • Add the chopped almonds.
  • Wrap the dough and chill for at least two hours.
  • Roll out the dough to 1/8"-1/4" depending on how thin you like your cookies.  
  • Bake at 375 for 12-16 minutes.  They will be a little soft when warm, but will firm up when cool.



Three from the same batch ~ all a little different ~ like my babies


3 comments:

  1. such dark cookies are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really delicious, wish I had all the ingredients in my pantry to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are a perfect adult cookie for Valentine's Day. They are gorgeous and I'm sure delicious as well. I call a crisp, not too sweet cookie, a cracker. I'm not sure that is an official definition but it works for me :-) I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete