Thursday, March 17, 2011

Brown Jasmine rice with cilantro, lime and shallot ~

An uninspiring picture...a good recipe


Uh huh.  Rice -- A Recipe.  (I didn't say that with a whole lot of confidence.  *smiling*)


I made this last the other night with Taco Tuesday.  Annie said, "What did you do to the rice, Mom?  It's great!"  I was looking forward to how that little bit of lime juice would taste in the end result.  The shallots blending into the rice...why Sofia didn't have to avoid one little bit.  :)  I mentioned that next time I might like more cilantro, to which Sofia said, "I thought it was so yummy, I don't think you could make it yummier."  This is a keeper recipe.  As are my children, whom I am head over heels in love with.


Brown jasmine rice with shallot, cilantro and lime ~
This makes a lot, I purposely do this for leftovers


2 c. brown jasmine (or basmati) rice
3 1/2 c. warm water
Juice from two key limes
2 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. chopped shallots, or quarter cut each shallot bulb and slice
2 T. olive oil - or canola
1/4 - 1/2 chopped cilantro - the amount is your call.  Isn't everything?
  • Heat a pan on medium high.  Add the oil when hot.
  • Add the shallots and 1/4 tsp. salt.  This is a fast saute due the high heat, just a minute or two to wilt or brown, but careful to not burn.
  • Turn the heat up to high.  Add the rice and stir to coat with the oil.  Let some of the rice turn white.
  • Add the water, cover.  Let come to a boil.
  • When at the boil, add the salt.  
  • Reduce to a very low simmer.  Cook approximately 40 minutes. 

Notes -- 

If your heat is too high, it will cook too quickly, too low and it will take longer.  Check from 30 minutes on.  When I hit 40 minutes and I can still hear water simmering in the bottom (Oy, I do not care for my new stove with the low flames) I will test a bit of the rice and if necessary leave the lid off to finish with water evaporation.


As mentioned, this makes a whole lot.  Half this recipe for all four of use still leaves leftovers.  I use it later in the week as part of meal planning, lunches, fried rice, etc.




Ending with the other uninspiring picture
Eskimo kisses ~
Sweet nose rubs.
 xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment