Thursday, March 17, 2011

Noodle soup with coconut milk and shrimp ~

Close up.  Ready.
I ran across a recipe for this soup in an old copy of Fine Cooking.  As I read the list it quickly became thought of, "I don't have that, I don't have that, or that...".  So, I made do with what I did have on hand.  I used the dried lemongrass I found at the health food store some time back.  I don't know how well it would work alone with additional lime, considering it was not the only tart flavor, having key limes on hand to boost the citrus aspect of this soup.  

I was very proud of this outcome, that doesn't happen too often for me.  I am often very happy and pleased, but this was something so different for me to make because of the scratch paste...I was quietly beaming inside. That and my scratch Thai or Chinese is usually mediocre.  This took a bit of prep time, more than the cooking process...that alone I was proud of because a lot of prep is something I am not always crazy about.   I am so grateful that my children love such a variety of foods, especially seafood.  It makes my heart float at times ~ :) 

The kidlets were very happy with this, especially my little shrimp eater, Annabelle.  She actually lights up when we have shrimp.  Nic came to the stove as I was starting the saute' and asked if he could tell Annie, because it would make her happy, and he wanted to see that.  I thought that was cute.  Not that I let him...I wanted to wait to see her happy face light up at the table.  :)

Linked to this wonderful place to share on Fridays ~ :)

Noodle soup with coconut milk and shrimp  ~


1 small onion, rough chop (approx. 1/2 c.)
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled, chopped
5 garlic cloves
2 heaping T. dried lemongrass
1/2 jalapeno, exterior only - no seed or vein
1/4 c. cilantro leaves
1 tsp. fresh ground cumin
2 tsp. brown sugar
2 T. hoisin sauce
2-3 T. water
2 T. oil 


1 lb. shrimp, shelled and deveined (save shells) - I used 21/25 ct.


2 c. chicken broth
3 c. water
14 oz. coconut milk
1/4 c. fresh lime juice
1 - 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Bean sprouts - optional


6 oz. rice noodles, thick
  • In a food processor, put the onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, cilantro, cumin, sugar, hoisin sauce Make a paste.
  • Heat a soup pot or large saucier over medium heat.  When hot add oil and paste. Saute the paste, stirring often until it softens and the scent is very aromatic...about 5-8 minutes.
  • Stir in the shrimp shells and cook until they become pink, about two minutes.
  • Add the stock, water, and coconut milk.  Let it come to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
  • Bring a pot full of water almost to a boil, then turn off the heat.
  • Soak noodles in the water for five minutes.  Drain, rinse.  
  • Strain the broth into another pot and put back on the low heat.
  • Add the shrimp, cook through, about 3 minutes.
  • Divide the noodles between the bowls. Ladle the broth and shrimp into the bowls.  Add more cilantro, bean sprouts and cucumber.  

Notes ~ ~ 


  • I took the extra half of the jalapeno, removed the seeds and vein to have it sit in the simmering stock stage for about ten minutes.  Taste the broth as you go along.  Your pepper might be very spicy, mine wasn't.  Monitor your heat ~ excess heat never makes anyone happy. 

Toodles ~

It's latte time
xoxo 

0 comments:

Post a Comment