Friday, September 23, 2011

Peach-nectarine-almond tart

I had the best nectarines and peaches this past summer that I've ever had in my life.  The flavor topped any organic I've had, and that says a lot considering the delicious quality stone fruit we get here in Oregon.  This past summer....as today marks fall equinox, a lovely and welcome transition.

A recipe for short crust, not quite a double amount - plus the best fruit you can find.  One cannot make up for so-so peaches with sugar.  I only had two good peaches on hand, not enough for a pie so I added nectarines. 

Peach-nectarine-almond tart


This makes a tart smaller than a pie, so if you adjust for a pie pan, you'll need more fruit.  I used an 8" tart pan with 2" sides. 

Peach-nectarine-almond tart ~

2 peaches, largish and peeled
3 medium nectarines, peel left on
1/4 c. sugar
2 T. brown sugar
Freshly grated nutmeg
The barest pinch of salt
1 T. tapioca powder

Optional streusel, approx. 3 T.
Crushed sliced almonds, approx. 2 T.


Egg wash and extra sugar, coarse grain - optional


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


  • Mix the sugars, salt, nutmeg, tapioca flour.   
  • Peel the peaches, slice into halves, then each half into four slices.  Slice nectarines in the same manner. 
  • Mix dry ingredients with the sliced fruit.

  • Roll out the crust, line the pan.  
  • Sprinkle the streusel and almonds over the interior.
  • Roll out the remaining dough and cut into 3/4" strips.  
  • Add the fruit to the pan, top with lattice weaving.
  • Press edges together and pinch off.
  • Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 30 minutes.  Reduce to 350 degree and bake approximately another 20-30 minutes, until the crust is golden as you like it.

Happy Fall.    

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my mouth is watering. I made my first pumpkin pie with a hard boiled egg and I haven't looked back.
    Ooh, gotta go check out those little whole wheat sweets ...

    ReplyDelete