Saturday, November 27, 2010

Apple scones ~


Flour, a KitchenAid and Thee.


My children love these scones.  I believe these have replaced cinnamon chip or marionberry as their Most Favored Scone.  For me, they are a little soft, muffiny.  Not bad in any way, just not as dry or shortbreadish or less sweet as I care for in a scone.  But I didn't get up from the settee to make them for myself this snowy Saturday morning.  I felt that tug of therapy through baking and blurting out love for them in the form time spent baking for them. 


Apple walnut scones, on the sweet side.

2 c. flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
6 T. butter

1 egg
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 apple, cored, peeled, in chunk sizes of your desire
1/2 walnuts


  • Mix dry ingredients in mixing bowl, using the paddle attachment.
  • Add butter, mix to pea size crumbs.
  • Combine egg, cream, vanilla.  Add to butter mixture and stop short of fully combined.
  • Add apples, walnut.  A few turns and it's ready.
  • Move the mixture to a floured surface, patting out to an inch high.
  • Cut as desired, I choose eight for this recipe.  You can also half the dough and make two discs of six.
  • Brush with cream, add sugar or streusel.
  • Bake at 425 - start checking after 15 minutes.  You're on your own after that.  They will spring back to the touch when done.
Flour, a KitchenAid and Thee.  The ability to make items with that paddle attachment is worth the cost of a KitchenAid.  At the very least, the 5qt. size.

I was tired of rounds and wedges









5 comments:

  1. These sound so good. I can imagine how flavorful they must be. I'd love one with my morning coffee.
    I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they look yummy! Happy Pink Saturday. Hey, I having a give away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like they would be scrumptious with a hot cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. :)
    Thank you. :)
    Thank you. :)

    :) Wish I could make a real smiley face here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going on my list of things to make soon!

    ReplyDelete