Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Black bean burgers ~

Our Meatless Monday without a ringing endorsement for this recipe?  Annie liked it quite a lot.  Nic got into the taste 1/3 way through. Sofia was being Sofia, kinda picking at her plate once again, her eating style has mood of it's own.   I wanted to make a great veggie burger and came up with that will need tweaking.  I analyzed as I ate.  
  • Maybe some nuts or whole grains such as some barley.  With as long as barley takes to make do I want to make some just for 1/2 c. in black bean burgers?  No.  
  • Taste for not only salt, but overall savory flavor before adding the egg.
  • What the particular brand (Trader Joe's) of whole grain buns good?  Meh.  This is where I miss white flour, for burgers.  And now burgers of any sort, including veggie burgers.
  • I thought a good intensely flavored tomato compote would have done wonders for the burger overall - along with a change of bun.  
  • A whole grain artisan bread, sliced and toasted would have been better. 
  • A smothering of carmelized sweet onions would have been delicious.
  • Olive oil sauteed mushrooms...uh huh.
  • Now I'm just dreaming in type...my children were perfectly happy with this it as served.  When I experiment, my mind wanders if it needs tweaking.  Just the bun and the burger, with a little cheese...was not flavorful enough for me.  Next time...more add-ons.  :)
In a meeting today I was told I had high expectations of my children.  I do in all people really.  That is a two sided coin, most certainly.  When I don't let some things (and people) be good enough...my focus on appreciation is blurred.  These burgers were good enough and enjoyed last night.
Meatless Monday dinner
Black bean burgers ~
 Makes 4-6

2 c. black beans, cooked
1/4 c. shallots, sliced
1/4 c. green onions, sliced
1-2 tsp. chipotles in adobo sauce
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
Shy 1/4 c. roasted red pepper
1/2 c. whole grain dried bread crumbs
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
Olive oil or canola oil
  • Saute the shallots with a pinch of the salt, about 3-5 minutes on medium heat.
  • Add the garlic, saute another minute.  Remove from heat.
  • Add the onions and garlic, cilantro, red pepper, bread crumbs and salt into a food processor.  Pulse 3-4 times.  Add the bean and pulse just to combined.  Leave it chunky.  Remove to a bowl.
  • Fold through the mixture so it's combined.  Taste and adjust if necessary.  Add egg, fold to combine.
  • Form into patties.  Refidgerate for at least 30 minutes.  
  • When ready, heat a saute pan on medium.  Heat on both sides, about five minutes each side.
Eskimo kisses ~
xoxo


Before cooking




0 comments:

Post a Comment