Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tablespoon Pork Dumplings ~

Seeing color, happiness came to my eyes, seeping to my heart

It happened again, last night.  I fell in love with myself.  There was silence from children intently eating.  This went over well.  Better than a previous experiment with dumpling recipes.  This is a keeper.  

It seems whenever I find an Asian recipe for almost anything I want to try, I am missing much of the list.  I don't keep fish sauce in the house, I've learned I don't care for it.  I may or may not have soy sauce in the house - it's awfully high in sodium.  Coconut aminos is good, but it's shelf life, even in the fridge, is not long.  I certainly don't have napa cabbage on hand.  I do, however, almost always have a purple cabbage in the recesses of my fridge stock.  Curious.  Anywhoo....what I didn't have made me substitute what I did for these pork dumplings.  As I was adding various bits...I noticed I was adding items in tablespoons...it did take a tablespoon of this...a tablespoon of that.  While mixing pork dumplings,  I started humming and singing and swaying ~~






Tablespoon Pork Dumplings ~

1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 tsp. tapioca flour
1 T. minced fresh ginger
1 T. minced garlic
1 T. hoisin sauce
1 T. Vermouth 
2 T. minced shallot
3/4 lb. ground pork
1 c. thinly sliced and finely chopped cabbage
Wanton wrappers
  • In a small bowl, mix salt, pepper, tapioca flour, ginger, hoisin sauce, Vermouth, and shallot.
  • In a larger bowl, add pork and cabbage.  Add the flavorings.  Mix thoroughly.
  • Using a tablespoon scoop, place the pretty colored pork mixture in the middle of a wanton wrapper.
  • Wet half the edges with a wet finger.  Press out the air and seal.
  • Ready a pot of boiling water.
  • Slowly add dumplings.  Do not crowd.  Depending on the heat of your water, cook on a low simmer 6-10 minutes.  Test one.  They will still be pink when done (the salt does this, I believe). 

Sad picture, delicious dumplings
Eskimo kisses ~ real ones
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. How pretty and delicious looking! I am sold on your blog. Love it! Will be a frequent visitor from now on...

    ReplyDelete