Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Turkey breakfast sausage ~

A very savory breakfast
Why not spinach at breakfast?  I like it.  The kids...not so much.  My picture focus is poor enough, adding spinach at least makes it better than a picture with just a patty on a plate.  


Ground turkey was on sale this week at Safeway's $5 Friday.  Three pounds for $5.  That is a heck of a price, easy on the budget.  I struggle with the other side of the coin that says it's not great animal farming practices.  I do have to pick and choose when the food cost allotment is sparse.  Moving on past the guilt...temporary as it is...


Turkey meat being as lean and dull as it can be, it needs help.  I've wanted some sauage lately, and at this price I decided now was the time to try adding spices to make a quickie sausage flavored ground turkey while saving money.   How wrong could it go.  :)  It went really well.    I wandered the web for spice recipes...picked what I like and played with amounts.  I had to add fennel...a favorite of mine in sausages.  I also had to purchase something I've not had in my kitchen in decades.  Onion and garlic powders.  They won't be staples, I feel lazy using them, an illogical feeling.


Turkey breakfast sausage ~
Part of Menu Plan Monday

1 tsp. dried sage
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, fresh grated
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 lb. ground turkey
  • Mix spices, fold into turkey meat.
  • Cook as desired.
Notes -

I did add salt to the exterior of the patty after forming, it needed a little extra boost of salt.  I used olive oil, patty form, medium low heat, saute pan.


Happy morning to you ~ will you choose love today.


xoxo
Until another time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment